By: Amanda Froelich,
Looking for an alternative dessert that is not only brilliant for your waist line, will draw a crowd at a potluck, or will satiate your fussy teenager’s taste buds? Create these simple and delicious raw and vegan Lemon Bars!
Regardless of your dietary preferences, raw desserts are a simple, no-cook way to create live food dishes that are bursting full of vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids, and heart-healthy fats. This recipe, for example, is rich in bio-flavanoids, Vitamin C and E, mono-saturated fats (which are great for supporting your arterial health and have even been shown to help you lose weight), and more!
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Serving Size: 8 x 8 Pan, about 9 servings
- ¾ Cup Walnuts
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Coconut
- 5 Soft Dates
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 2-3 tsp Lemon Zest
- 6 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- (Optional): 3-5 drops of Stevia or 1-2 Dates (soaked for 20 minutes in water)
- (Optional): Pinch of Turmeric, to enhance yellow color
- In a food processor, process walnuts until medium-finely ground. Add remaining crust ingredients and pulse until a somewhat sticky texture is obtained.
- Sprinkle 1-2 Tbsp of extra unsweetened coconut on the bottom of your pan to prevent sticking. Sprinkle your crust evenly and, using your hands, firmly press into the bottom of your pan.
- In a high-speed blender, process all filling ingredients until smooth and creamy. Pour over your crust and freeze for 1-2 hours.
- Once hardened, cut into 9 slices and serve with a lime wedge on top. An optional sprinkling of Cardamom is another nice addition.
Compared to a standard American (or European) treat which is full of refined sugars, chemicals, additives, and high-heated, chemically denatured foods, a treat like this is easy to make and will not only support your glowing health, but can set an exceptionally good example for those around you and your family. Enjoy!