Environment

Lego To Make Its Iconic Plastic Blocks From Sustainable Materials

The world’s largest toy company has pledged to opt for sustainable materials instead of plastic to produce its iconic building blocks.

You know change is in motion when the world’s largest toy company pledges to exchange plastic materials for sustainable alternatives.

As TIME shares, Lego will invest $1 billion in their new LEGO Sustainable Materials Centre in Denmark, which will be excessively devoted to finding and implementing new sustainable alternative for their current building materials. In order to carry out this directive, the company plans on hiring 100 specialists for the center.

In an announcement posted on the 16th of June, The Lego Group shared its intention to replace the plastic in their products with a “sustainable material” by 2030.

Since 1963, Lego building blocks have been comprised of a strong plastic known as acrylonitrile butadiene styrene. In fact, the company uses more than 6,000 tons of plastic annually to produce its products, according to NBC News.

While there is no official definition of a ‘sustainable material’, changing the raw material could have a large effect on Lego’s carbon footprint, especially given that only 10% of the carbon emissions from Lego products come from its factories. The other 90% is produced from the extraction and refinement of raw materials, including the distribution from factories to toy stores.

At present, the company is in the process of lowering its carbon footprint by reducing the packaging size of its products and investing in an offshore wind farm.

What are your thoughts on this good news? Share in the comments section below.


This article (Lego To Make Its Iconic Plastic Blocks From Sustainable Materials) is free and open source. You have permission to republish this article under a Creative Commons license with attribution to the author and TrueActivist.com.

Do you like our independent & investigative news? Then please check these two settings on Facebook to guarantee you don't miss our posts:

TrueActivist

Popular On True Activist

More On True Activist

To Top