Sometimes, just a few soft words can bring everything into focus.
Born 1926 in Vietnam, Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh is now 90 years old. Throughout his lifetime, he has published dozens of books on peace, compassion, and mindfulness, perhaps the most well known is Peace Is Every Step. Martin Luther King Jr. called Thich Nhat Hanh “an apostle of peace and nonviolence?.
In his teachings, Thich Nhat Hanh presents enlightenment as a simple daily practice. He challenges the small-minded thought patterns that produce anxiety and shows how easy it is to access the profound happiness that is already within us.
Here are some selected quotes from the incredible work of Thich Nhat Hanh.
1. ?Because you are alive, everything is possible.?
2. ?You must love in such a way that the person you love feels free.?
3. “People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.”
4. ?Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is the only condition for happiness. If, in our heart, we still cling to anything ? anger, anxiety, or possessions ? we cannot be free.?
5. ?When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That?s the message he is sending.?
6.?”It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available?more than enough for you to be happy right now. You don’t have to run into the future in order to get more.”
7. ?We have to continue to learn. We have to be open. And we have to be ready to release our knowledge in order to come to a higher understanding of reality.”
8. ?When you love someone, the best thing you can offer is your presence. How can you love if you are not there?”
9. ?The mind can go in a thousand directions, but on this beautiful path, I walk in peace. With each step, the wind blows. With each step, a flower blooms.?
10. And finally, here is a mantra for meditation by Thich Nhat Hanh. Recite this to yourself in sync with your breath.
Inhale: Breathing in, I calm body and mind.
Exhale: Breathing out, I smile.
Inhale: Dwelling in the present moment,
Exhale: I know this is the only moment.
What are your thoughts? Please comment below and share this news!