A picture is worth a thousand words, but not all pictures are created equal. We should warn our readers that some of these pictures may upset them, while others may fill them with joy. But that’s precisely because these images reflect some of the best and worst parts of the human experience and world events. Our post of must-see photos from the past described our history while these photos, for the most part, describe our present – our suffering and our triumphs, our perseverance and our failures, our compassion and our hatred, our intelligence and our stupidity.
Some of these photographs may mean more to some of our readers than to others. But hopefully, they will remind us all that the world can always use a little bit more love, tolerance, compassion and understanding.
P.S: we always try our best to credit each and every photographer, but sometimes it’s impossible to track some of them. Please leave a comment if you know the missing authors.
Starving boy and missionary
Image credits: Mike Wells
2. Inside an Auschwitz gas chamber
Image credits: kligon5
3. Heart surgeon after 23-hour-long (successful) heart transplant. His assistant is sleeping in the corner.
Image credits: James Stanfield
4. Father and son (1949 vs 2009)
Image credits: Vojage-Vojage
5. Diego Frazão Torquato, 12 year old Brazilian playing the violin at his teacher’s funeral. The teacher had helped him escape poverty and violence through music
Image credits: salvemasnoss...
6. A Russian soldier playing an abandoned piano in Chechnya in 1994
Image credits: drugoi.livejournal.com
7. Young man just found out his brother was killed
Image credits: Nhat V. Meyer